Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Heroes of Sungkyunkwan

Sungkyunkwan is the center of learning for scholars during the Joseon era (Korea 14th to 16th century). During this period, only males are given the privileged to study and hold positions on the government.

So the Sungkyunkwan Scandal is about one female who was able to break into Sungkyunkwan and change the history. Well, this is a fiction of course but I can't help to compare it with Mulan and thus the song Reflections kept playing in my head
I am now /In a world where I have to /Hide my heart /And what I believe in /But somehow /I will show the world /What’s inside my heart /And be loved for who I am 
I am glad I was born in this time where I can show what I really can do and not be restricted with the norms of the society. There are still some places where females are regarded as lesser but that's a totally different story.




Let's go back to Sungkyunkwan Scandal and the heroes that helped our female lead to achieve her impossible dream.

Our pretty female lead is Kim Yoon Hee, she used her sick brother's identity as Kin Yoon Shik and entered Sungkyunkwan. She had to take care of her sick sibling and widowed mother. She is bright, talented and determined that even the King took a liking on him (as male).


The dashing Garang (term for most eligible bachelor), Lee Sun Joon being the son of the Left Prime Minister, head of Norons. He is quite stoic and idealistic. He isn't afraid to challenge anyone on his beliefs and quest for truth and justice.


My love Moon Jae Shin or Geol Oh, the third wheeler but definitely the better choice (am I being obvious?). He is the Robin Hood/ bad boy here. His quest for justice for his slain brother and hatred for Norons drove him to be a vigilant.


Goo Yong Ha, the son of the richest merchant made him both street wise and a brat (but I love him anyways). He's been a friend and confidant of Moon Jae Shin; knows a lot as he is also very observant.



I am already on the last two eps but was afraid to continue as something bad might happen to Jalgeum Quartet. Pls spare these 4, no dying or I'll gonna be crazy!

20 comments:

Ivan Saldajeno said...

This is what makes Korean drama than the other Asianovelas. Unlike the Pinoy telenovelas or the Taiwanese dramas, while Koreanovelas still provide the drama, they are also introducing their history and culture to us. Amaya existed only because it's inspired by these Korean history shows. Good article. Can't wait to see this show on GMA next year.

Snippets of Inspiration said...

The Philippines is still quite old fashioned in terms of drama. I think we need to improve on the quality of the equipment and the talent that we have.

Paulitulit lang nakikita natin sa TV. We need to make it awesome for the world :)

MovieDoBiDo said...

Another korean drama...I am not a korean drama fan but this one looks like interesting...two thumbs up for this post

Julie. -- said...

Seems interesting. I only know a couple of koreanovela and I was hooked. That was during my teen years when cute boys with white skin and singkit eyes are winners.. haha!

Herbert Kikoy said...

I think this is a good tv series but personally I dont prefer since its foreign, Id rather be watching pinoy soap :D

Herbert

Matsumoto said...

Pagkagagwapu naman nire! lol. I prefer Japanese actors though and because I know Japanese than Korean. :D There are aspects where women should be subjective to pero that's between husband and wife, society-wise pareho lang...IMHO. Silipin ko ito, thanks for sharing!

Joy said...

I am also a fan of Koreanovelas, I like Baker King, it did made me cry a lot ahihi

Lady Patchy said...

I enjoyed reading your post .I don't watch koreanovela for a long time now.I've seen some when i was on a short to Philippines like 5 years ago aand almost forgot the title.

Stef said...

This novel seems to be interesting. I may have to put this one in line with the TV series I had to catch up to.

Rochelle said...

Another Korean Drama, I really like the way they act. Unlike Philippines telenovela, I find Koreanovela more realistic.

I think the Philippines need some improvement in terms of acting and of course the props or whatsoever. :)

Nice post here. :)

Sining Factory said...

This is a drama that preserves the culture, history and the art of Korea. Not a fan of Koreanovelas but I think Im gonna love this. :)

Michi said...

i am a fan of other korean series like queen seon deok and jewel in the palace. =)

chrisair said...

pansin ko sa mga Koreantelenovela mahilig sila sa pagpoportray ng ganyan yung magpapanggap ng lalaki then maiinlove paring yung bidang lalaki

c5 @ paanoba.info said...

I notice that Koreanovelas are quite historical/cultural. I've watched Queen Seon Deok (cool Bidam moves!) over the internet and almost watched 4 episodes a day! I also enjoyed Baker King. ;)

Hazel said...

The plot is indeed very similar with Mulan. Now I'm gonna go find myself some garang, rofl.

kiko :(|) said...

ahh, ganon pala yon, thanks for the info

Admin said...

i have watched korean novel series months ago, i have not yet watch this. thanks for sharing this,i will buy the dvd copy ! :)

leah said...

I have watched telenovelas but do not really follow them. I do find Koreanovelas more interesting as they feature Korean culture and values. May dating pa ang characters!

I cannot help myself but sadly, local tv is crappy...why? because shows are determined by projected revenue. Not on the value the programs can bring to Filipinos' lives.

Besides, a lot of Pinoy telenovela underestimate Filipinos' imagination. Nakakadisappoint tuloy manuod.

May said...

Korean Drama rules! Ang galing no? That's why we're so drawn to Asian telenovelas because of all the drama, history and culture. Not to mention gorgeous singkit artistas! :D

tndcallphilippines said...

I've caught a few episodes of Korean telenovelas (though not this one). And, I was quite impressed with the quality of their shows. The acting was also very good - I'm sure if i stuck around the tv more often - it would be part of my day. :) I agree with a lot here that local telenovelas can be improved. Sometimes i feel like - if i've watched n one, ive seem them all. I'd like to invite you to visit (and comment!) my blog if you have time! Here's the link: http://tndcallphilippines.blog.com/